Scientists say you can’t rely on willpower this year to keep your New Year’s Resolution…it simply won’t work! What should you do then?
Follow these 10 suggestions for a better start to 2016:
1) If possible, make only one resolution – changing a lot of things at once is more difficult.
2) Think about your resolutions in advance, and spend some time to reflect on them.
3) Don’t re-visit past failures, but focus on new resolutions instead.
4) Focus on what you really want – don’t just go with what’s trendy.
5) Break your goal into manageable, concrete steps with specific deadlines.
6) Go public – tell your friends, family, social networks about your goals, which will increase your fear of failure and also garner support.
7) Create a checklist focusing on how much better your life will be once you’ve achieved your goals.
8) Whenever you make progress on the steps towards your goal, give yourself a small reward.
9) Document your journey – charts, spreadsheets, journals and other means of tracking your progress will keep it concrete.
10) Don’t beat yourself up and quit if you sometimes revert to old habits – treat it as a temporary setback.