This week I turned 40 and it made me think about all the things I’ve done right, all the things I’ve done wrong, and everything I’ve learned in between. As a result, I wrote up 40 Thoughts, Observations and Life Comments at 40. Enjoy and feel free to add your own in the comments.
The Basics. Just some random things I think about quite often…
1. Family first.
2. Put away your phone and be present. Nothing will happen if you don’t check it every minute.
3. Have fun! We’re only here once (that I know of). Not many things are that serious.
4. Invest in yourself, read more books and learn new stuff every day.
5. Surround yourself with super cool people.
6. Set really big goals. It costs the same as setting small wimpy goals.
7. Nothing good comes from watching the news. Stop it.
8. Focus on the 20% of activities that produce 80% or more of the results (in everything!)
9. Be nice (stole this one from Keller Williams).
10. Make more birdies.
11. Listen to the Tim Ferriss Show podcast. Trust me on this one.
12. Most things in life and business are counterintuitive.
13. Spend more money on experiences than possessions. They last longer.
14. Don’t take your health for granted.
15. Spend some quiet time every day by yourself (without your phone).
16. You get 86,400 seconds every day. Make the most of them or they’re gone forever.
17. My dad, Zack, once told me that when choosing a wife, check out her mother because most women become like their moms. I got really lucky with both.
18. Eat at In-N-Out Burger and Mastro’s Restaurants.
19. Get away with just your significant other at least once every quarter.
House Rules. My wife, Elena, makes fun of me, but these house rules have served us really well (I think)…
20. No cell phones in the bedroom. There are only 2 things you should be doing in the bedroom.
21. And on that note, no TV in the bedroom. Again, there are only 2 things you should be doing in the bedroom, and watching TV ain’t one of them.
22. Eat at least one meal together per day as a family at the table.
23. No electronics at meals. No exceptions.
Kid Stuff. I think that in general, most parents just need to chill out. But here are some others…
24. Support your kids’ passions, not yours. I’ve learned this the hard way as Maksim’s favorite sports are soccer and tennis… and mine aren’t.
25. Get off your phone, “play” with your kids and be present.
26. Stop saying “NO” so much to your kids… find a better way to communicate with them.
27. Stop over-parenting. It’s OK if your kid falls, makes a mess and makes mistakes.
28. All kids should play competitive team sports. The life lessons are invaluable.
Stuff They Don’t Teach You in School. I got an undergraduate degree in Business, a Law degree and an MBA, but didn’t learn any of this stuff there…
29. The primary business of every business is lead generation.
30. Wealthy people work and buy assets that produce income, and then buy stuff with that income. Poor people work and just buy stuff.
31. Hard work is not scalable.
32. Leadership is developing leaders within your organization.
33. Focus on building passive income.
Business. Some of these I’ve learned myself, and others I’ve observed or heard from top business leaders.
34. Begin with the end in mind.
35. No one succeeds alone. We will only go as high as we can lift our people.
36. Review your numbers daily and take the emotions and stories out of it.
37. There are excuses or results, but never both.
38. Operate with a sense of urgency.
39. Focus on the process, not the result.
40. Fail forward to success and never give up. “Failure provides the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently.” – Henry Ford.